1 onion, finely chopped
1leek, finely chopped
2-3 medium carrots, finely diced
1-2 celery stalks, finely diced
1/2 small celeriac, peeled and finely diced
1 fresh bay leaf
2L chicken broth
100g pearl barley
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
20g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
200ml cream (optional)
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and leek and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
3. Now add the carrots, celery, celeriac and bay leaf. Turn the heat to medium.
4. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring from time to time.
5. Add broth, barley and potatoes and simmer gently for 1 hour. Add a little salt to taste.
6. Remove from the heat and add cream.