Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
1 tsp yeast OR make a yeast substitute using: 2 tbsp vinegar + 2 tsp bicarb soda
100ml milk + 2 tbsp psyllium husk
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Zest of one orange
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of sorghum flour
1/4 buckwheat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour (+ additional 1/4 cup for kneading)
3 tbsp raisins
Dark chocolate (for decorating)
Makes 6 Buns
1. Preheat your oven to 180.
2. If you are making the yeast substitute, combine the vinegar and bicarb in a small bowl and mix together. In a separate bowl add the milk to the psyllium husk and mix well. Leave it to sit for two minutes.
3. In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients together and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix until everything is combined. 5. Add in the home-made yeast mix (or yeast).
5. Then gradually add in the dry mix and stir everything together until it resembles a dough-like mixture.
6. Flour your bench top and then knead the dough. Once kneaded, shape the dough into a 10 x 20 rectangle. Cut halfway through the dough to create creases in the buns.
7. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown on top.
8. Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the buns in a ‘+’ shape.