2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 brown onion, finely diced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 zucchini, chopped into cubes
1 generous handful of spinach
300g pumpkin or sweet potato, cut into small cubes
250g soaked lentils
1.5L of chicken or vegetable broth
100g nitrate-free pancetta (optional)
1. Add the extra virgin olive to a deep pan/crockpot. Bring to a medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic and let them soften for 5 minutes until golden. Then add in the carrot, celery and pumpkin/sweet potato and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth, lentils and pancetta (if using) to the pan and increase the temperature to a medium-high heat. Put a lid on the pan. and allow the soup to cook for 20 minutes.
4. Next, add in the chopped zucchini and and a generous handful of spinach. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Once cooked, remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls with toasted GF bread, sourdough or a side salad.
This soup freezes really well so is a great option for batch cooking.