Orange & Almond Cake with Orange Syrup
250g ground almonds⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2 large whole oranges (approx 450g) (+ 1 extra to slice for decoration).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
150g maple syrup ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
6 free-range eggs⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1 tsp vanilla extract ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
80g freshly squeezed orange juice ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
80g coconut sugar⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Preheat the oven to 160 and line a round cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
2. Put the oranges in a large saucepan, submerge them with plenty of water and put a lid on the saucepan. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and gently simmer for 1 hour. Keep an eye on the water as you may need to add more I necessary. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. Once the oranges are soft and cooked through, drain and leave them to cool. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. When the oranges are cool enough to handle, remove any pips and whizz in a food processor until completely blended. Add the rest of the cake ingredients and blend until everything is nicely mixed. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
5. Pour the mixture into the lined bake tin and bake for about 45 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean). You may need to cover the cake tin with baking paper about 30 minutes to stop the top from going too brown. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
6. While the cake is baking you can make the syrup. Place the orange juice and coconut sugar into a saucepan and heat gently on low heat until mixed through and warmed. Set aside.
7. Once the cake is cooked through remove from the oven. Skewer the cake a few times before pouring the syrup over the cake and allowing it to absorb before serving.