For the filling:
1 finely chopped onion
1 BPA free tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon sumac
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup pre soaked (for 24 hours) yellow split peas
1 cup of finely chopped parsley + mint
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt + Pepper
For the leaves:
1 bunch of silverbeet
1. Mix all the filling ingredients together.
2. Fill a large bowl with boiling water (this is to soften the silverbeet leaves).
3. Remove spines from silver beet leaves and soak until soft.
4. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture and roll up (google for technique!).
5. Place parcels in a heavy based casserole style dish with a lid, layering need be.
6. Once all wrapped, pour in any remaining juices from filling mix along with 125ml water.
7. Place on stove on high heat with lid on.
8. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for a further 20 mins.
9. Remove from the heat and enjoy!