2 1⁄4 cups (200g) oat flour or wholemeal spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large organic eggs
2/3 cup milk of whole dairy or coconut milk
7 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
122g cooked pumpkin (steamed or roasted), pureed
3 tablespoons maple syrup 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Suggested toppings: more maple syrup, nut butter, toasted nuts, berries, banana, thick cream cream or whipped coconut cream
1. Preheat your waffle iron (I use a Breville Electric one).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour or spelt flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Mix well until combined.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, coconut oil or butter, pumpkin purée, maple syrup and vanilla extract together well.
5. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon and mix well.
6. Pour batter onto the heated waffle iron, enough to cover the centre surface and still be able to close the lid without splitting over the sides.
7. Once the waffle is golden and crispy, transfer to a cooling rack or baking sheet. Don’t stack your waffles on top of each other or they’ll lose crispness.
8. Repeat with remaining batter and serve with desired toppings on the side.